Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Rwanda Rwanda

Wow! I can’t believe a whole week went by! Time is going faster and faster and I am over half-way till I come home now! I have so much to say and if this keyboard wasn’t ridiculously messed, then it would be quite a bit easier.
So, the highlight of last week was definitely Thursday! We were at the youth outreach office and they wanted to go do a home visit. Honestly, I was not very excited…at all. I was not feeling well and I still needed to pack for Rwanda and do ten million other things. But I went. We hop on boda’s, me, Becca, Wilson, and Godfrey and head up. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. It’s about a 20 minute boda ride from Lugazi and in one of the rural areas of Mukono District. We got up to this adobe-mud house thing. It was about 10 feet by 10 feet and there’s a whole family that lives there. This lady is a widow, taking care of her whole family. We met her entire family, none of them speaking English, and brought them food and some things like soap and hygiene kits. We even brought some toys for the little kids. They were so grateful. Like on their hands and knees. It amazed me. We spent maybe like $10.00 on this family and they were down on the ground giving thanks. It’s kind of a wonderful feeling and a horrible feeling at the same time. I am so happy to help them, but I did hardly anything, you know? And I just wish I could give them everything I have. Everything they need. I am so blessed. I just bawled the entire time I was there. Wilson offered a prayer and we all held hands. Two little white girls and a bunch of Africans, all holding hands and thanking God. Asking Him to help this incredible family. The spirit was so strong.
Friday was a very very VERY long day. Up at six in the morning. Straight on our way to Kampala. Becca was so kind to go with me and spend half the day in THE SURGERY.
We did a blood count there and a thyroid test. The thyroid test came out totally fine. The blood count was weird. He said there was something weird about it. He said it is most likely just a virus and I need to just wait it out. I’ve just never had a virus last for a month before…oh well.
After the doctors, Becca and I went to the mall. And guess what we did? You will never guess. I promise. We got pedicures. And went to the Hannah Montana Movie!!!!!!! Oh how I love that movie. There’s not much to do in Kampala besides Americanized stuff or getting attacked by a random man who wants to marry you. We chose the Americanized stuff. We ate good food. Later on saw ANOTHER movie…Transformers II. Sick. I hate that movie so much. I hated the first one and in this one when Shia goes to robot heaven…I was done. But we had to wait for the bus to Rwanda which left at 1am. So we went and got no the bus to go to Rwanda. It was…horrid. I don’t think I slept at all. Maybe like an hour total. The road is so freakin bumpy. I thought the bus was going to tip over like last year. SCARY.
We got there and there was NO WHERE to get money…because…surprise! It was the national holiday of cleaning that they have EVERY last Saturday of the month. And EVERYTHING was closed. Eventually we worked it out, got to our hotel, and got settled in. We met up with the branch president, Eric Hyde at this mall place. He was super nice and took us to the Genocide museum. He’s done investigations on the genocide for over 2 years now and knows TONS about it. It was a beautiful memorial and I learned a lot. It’s so tragic what had to happen, but Rwanda has recovered and is an even greater country now.
Let me tell you a bit about Rwanda. It is SPOTLESS. I had kind of forgotten that paved roads and streetlights existed. But it is beautiful and clean..not an ounce of garbage on the road. The only thing that sucks is that maybe like 2 people speak English in the whole freaking country, but we worked it out! No big deal!
Sunday we went to church at the branch president’s house. I’ve never done that at a house before so it was pretty cool. Awesome branch. Then Sunday I met up with some friends of the family (mom! I met noella and her husband casimir! You’ll have to tell Gertrude so I can show her pics when I get home! They were so nice and bought me a soda and stuff! Soooo nice!). Dinner, then to the BP’s house again to watch the football (soccer) match….in which our poor team sucked the second half.
It was a good vacation and I’m glad I went. I am exhausted because I hardly slept, but it really was a good experience.
I still have tons to say, but I have to go…so…I’ll write more often now hopefully! Love you all!! Thank yu so much for your prayers and support, really. I am so blessed, especially with friends and family. And I am so grateful!


**BONNIE. SAVE $30 DOLLARS FOR WHEN I GET HOME. YOU ARE COMING WITH ME TO DO A PEDICURE. Just so you know. I think it’s only 20 but I’m not one hundred percent sure on that. I don’t know why I just typed out one hundred percent an didn’t just do 100% but I did. So…yeah. Save it girl.

**JESSI. I love you. Could you please do the newsletter? I got your e-mail and loved it and will write when I have more time!

4 comments:

  1. Dani: Glad you are safe and back from your Rwuanda adventure. Hope you get feeling better. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool you were in Rwanda! I'm reading "Led By Faith" by Immaculee Ilibagiza now (its like a sequel to "Left To Tell"). That's awesome you are there. And I can't say I've ever had a pedicure haha but sure, I'll save up just for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW you went to RWANDA !!! Thats were the book left to tell took place that is so awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you get better dani. I just want to let you know you in my prayers love ya

    ReplyDelete