Monday, July 6, 2009

MuFASAH!

Wow. I seriously need to write more. Too much happens and then I forget what to write about. Good thing Becca dear is sittin' right hur next to me, so I can ask her what we did.
Last Wednesday we ....Becca doesn't remember either.
Uh..........Oh yeah! We did two home visits. They were pretty cool, nothing super exciting though. We got to hold the most adorable baby ever.
Thursday we ...I seriously cannot freakin remember!
Okay so FRIDAY I do remember that we ate at Wilson's house AGAIN. His family is so sweet! Oli malungi nyo! And ...I promise we've been working hard and doing stuff although it doesn't sound like it.
OKAY OKAY OKAY! I remember awesome stuff to talk about. So SATURDAY was one of my very favorite days in all of my days here in Uganda so far! In the morning we went to a market in Kampala called Owino Market. It is INSANE. Okay so this thing has got to be at the very least, two or three acres. It is amazing. And I have never seen anything like it before. It is all these shops, but they are tiny, like maybe 5 feet by five feet and they are packed with stuff. And they have stuff hanging all the way till like 15 feet up. I have no idea how in the heck they do it. But then they are so packed in there that you can't even see the sky. There is everything from watches and jewelry and shoes and clothes to g-nuts and flour and matoke to witch doctor medicines and jars and bottles and weird things. It's like an African Wal-mart. Except the aisles are like 2.5 feet wide and there are about 10 people with in arm's reach. It is crazy. I can't even explain it. And I SO wanted to take a picture but was terrified of getting my camera stolen...so decided against it.
After going to this market and getting about 15 marriage proposals, we went to the ARA, the American Recreational Association or something like that. HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY! This was my first 4th of July EVER without my whole fam damily and I was a little sad, BUT it turned out to be the best Independance Day EVER. No offense fam.
At this little celebration there were so many white people I thought I might wet my pants. And it was funny too cause everyone there was saying the same thing. Haha, people were whispering to their friends, "I don't remember ever seeing so many mzungus...this is so weird." And it was crazy to hear them speak english constantly in an American accent and everything. It was super weird. But we had a BARBECUE with HOT DOGS. I don't really love hot dogs all that much but it was so good. They had hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, grilled chicken (oh. my. gosh. so. freakin. good.), potato salad, coleslaw, ketchup and MUSTARD. Do you KNOW how long its been since I've seen mustard? Yeah. Awesome. Then sprite and fanta and coke and all of the goodness. Later they even had a HUGE AMERICAN FLAG CAKE! I've never been so patriotic! But seriously. I almost cried during the star-spangled banner. And the marines were there. And ....it was just awesome. I love America.
So we had some performances from some awesome dance groups ...traditional African dancing. It was funny though cause I felt like I was in happy valley at a ward thing in which we hired a group of African people who are randomly in Utah to come and perform for us. But then there was a lot of alcohol and I knew I wasn't in Happy Valley at a ward event anymore haha. So...like everyone there got totally wasted, except for us of course. And the funny thing is that ...okay so we started dancing cause they started to play real good music. Like Lady Gaga and stuff. It was so fun. And about Twenty-something of us were going crazy! And some guy from BYU who is working at the embassy was there...but he didnt' know we were from BYU yet. He saw us and thought we were totally wasted and some guy next to him was laughing so hard at how much alcohol he thought we had in us. Then he saw Jake's shirt that was a BYU shirt and came up to us and thought it was so funny. And what makes it even funnier is that it was like a normal BYU dance...like just a crazy one at the Riv or something and there's never any alcohol. I love BYU. I love Mormons.
Speaking of Mormons, WILSON CAME TO CHURCH YESTERDAY!!!!!! He loved it and is going again! We gave him a Book of Mormon today and he's really excited! What a sweetheart! I'm really excited!
Well, I think that's enough for today and remind me to write more! Is anyone even reading this anymore besides my family and Bonnie Claire? Are they the only ones who still love me? I feel like a missionary who has been out for six months and everyone starts forgetting about him/her. Yeeeeep. I still got a while to go and want to hear from ya'll! I love you all.
Love, Dani

3 comments:

  1. Dani: Lot's of people always ask about you. Some are even following your blog. Keep writing!

    Love

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, it's official. As soon as you get back we are having a dance party!!! I read this, don't worry :) I love you lots! You are doing such amazing things! I'm so proud of you! :D

    ReplyDelete